Want to help scientists communicate their science better?
Want to meet new scientists to bring their stories into your classroom?
Come participate in a compendium Educator Workshop integrated with the Scientist Communication Series (SCS) workshops!
Through hands-on lessons, discussions, and experiences we:
- Connect you to real polar scientists and polar research;
- Provide opportunities to expose your students to the application of science concepts through hands-on activities;
- Increase our understanding about how scientists conduct research.
Participating educators work with 1-3 polar researchers at the Scientist Communication Series workshop to brainstorm effective practices for the scientists to communicate their research to broader audiences.
Participant Benefits – All participants will receive the opportunity to:
- Meet and connect with scientists involved in polar research;
- Explore, as a learner, and process, as a facilitator, hands-on lessons related to polar research and technology;
- Participate in discussions with scientists to further develop your content knowledge in the science and science mission;
- Brainstorm ways successfully to integrate the lessons and other components of Polar ICE into your curriculum;
- Receive a binder with all lesson plans; and
- Receive a stipend and a continental breakfast, lunch, and snacks during the workshop.
Participant Commitments – Each participant must fully commit to the following:
- Participate in the Educator Workshop;
- Complete all evaluation instruments; and
- Partner with 1-3 polar scientists during the workshop to assist them in more effectively communicating their science.
Upcoming SCS Educator Workshops: (Winter workshop date and location coming soon)
Past SCS Educator Workshops:
- Educator Workshop at the Ocean Sciences Meeting in New Orleans, LA – February 21, 2016, Audubon Aquarium of the Americas (8:30am to 4pm)