Help us collect the effective practices of our Polar ICE Community
March 15-16, 2019
Moss Landing Marine Labs, Monterey, CA
Polar-ICE is hosting a two-day Summit to reflect upon the impact of the program over the last three years, as well as discuss lessons learned from the program activities and document ideas for sustaining the impact beyond the life of the grant.
We are bringing together both scientists and teachers who have previously participated in the Polar ICE project. The Summit will include themed sessions, including:
- Teaching, Learning, & Communicating with Data
- Outreach & Communication about Polar Research
- Building Professional Partnerships through Trainings
Sessions will include 10-minute lightning talks, panel discussion, and round table dialogue. The event will also include networking and an evening Share-A-Thon for participants to share their favorite Polar-ICE activity, lab, lesson plan, student products, etc. with the group.
We cordially invite you to attend this exciting Polar-ICE Spring Summit, and submit an abstract to propose a lightning talk on your work with Polar-ICE during one of our sessions.
- Travel support (flights or mileage to the event, plus lodging) is available if needed, and registration is free.
- Meals will be provided during the event.
- Participants are expected to arrive in Monterey Bay by 6pm March 14, 2019 and stay the duration of the event through 2pm Mar 16, 2019
Sponsored by: University California Monterey Bay (UCMB)
Apply for this workshop by January 11, 2019.
Past Webinars and Conference Workshops
Polar ICE offered a range of workshops and webinars, in conjunction with polar scientists, to bring polar science and data to more educators nationally and globally.
Workshops and webinars consisted of:
- Conversations with a polar scientist about his/her research and how it is conducted
- Facilitation of educational material related to the scientist’s research (e.g., pre-developed data-focused activities, relevant lesson plans, science practice videos
Resources from recent workshops (lesson plans, web resources):
- Educator Workshop at NSTA Regional Conference in Baltimore – October 7, 2017
- Educator Workshop at NSTA STEM Forum in Orlando, Florida – July 13, 2017
- Educator Workshop at NSTA Regional Conference in Minneapolis – October 29, 2016
- Educator Workshop at Oceans 16 (MTS IEEE/OES) for K-12 Educators – September 17, 2016